How To Hide Comments On Facebook & Instagram Ads
Hiding Comments On Facebook
To hide a comment on Facebook, open the Facebook post and scroll down to the comment you want to hide. Hover your mouse over the comment and click on the three dots on the right. In the pop-up card, click the Hide comment option.
Brands these days rely heavily on advertising their products on Facebook and Instagram. But things get tricky when they are managing multiple profiles, running several ad campaigns, and getting hundreds of comments on their ad posts.
Brand managers look for ways to hide comments on Facebook ads when they are unsure of how to handle all the negative, spam, and user comments for which they currently don't have an answer.
Do you ignore such comments? Do you delete comments on Facebook? Or do you hide comments on Facebook?
In This Blog, We'll Explore Hiding Comments On Facebook & Instagram Ads
We'll help you understand which type of comments you need to hide on Facebook, along with step-by-step instructions for the same.
- Should You Hide Comments On Facebook Ads?
- How To Hide Comments On Facebook Ads?
- How To Turn Off Comments On Facebook Posts & Ads?
- How To Hide Comments On Instagram Ads?
- Can You Delete Comments From FB Ads & Instagram Ads?
- Hide Comments On Facebook And Instagram Automatically With Statusbrew
Should You Hide Comments On Facebook Ads?
As a brand, you want to control the voice of your Facebook posts to get your message across, but running ads these days goes hand in hand with negative, spam, and unnecessary comments taking up the comment section.
Hiding comments on Facebook allows you to manage your ad posts in a better way. You can get rid of the spam and irrelevant comments to maintain the quality of your post and even unhide and respond later on to the relevant comments with a better answer to strengthen your brand reputation.
Brands have seen up to a "269%" increase in positive user sentiment just by removing or hiding harmful comments and distractions.
You should consider hiding comments, such as:
- Spam - These are Facebook comments with links that may send a user to sites with viruses and malware.
- Self-promotion - How often do we come across people on ad posts that are trying to promote their own website or app?
- Inappropriate content or language - This includes explicit language, racist, homophobic, or sexist comments.
- Trolls - These are the comments from users that are determined to drag your name through the mud.
Ignoring such comments can give your potential customers a biased and unrepresented view of your brand, ultimately preventing them from buying your products or services in the future.
Which Comments You Should Not Hide On Facebook?
Apart from the above-mentioned types of comments, if you are receiving comments that are customer concerns or constructive feedback, hiding comments on Facebook isn't the best route to take. Here's what you can do instead.
Reply To Comments On Facebook Head-On
Use this technique to reply to comments on Facebook instead of hiding them straight away.
Try to understand where the user is coming from. Ask the right questions to address customer issues.
Accept that the customer's concerns are genuine and address them. Make them feel heard.
Remember, there is a human on the other end. Try to make the interaction as human as possible.
How To Hide Comments On Facebook Ads?
To control the voice of your Facebook ad posts, you can choose to hide comments on Facebook by following the steps given below.
Hiding Comments on Facebook
Here are the steps to hide a comment on Facebook:
- Open the Facebook post and scroll down to the comment you want to hide
- Hover your mouse over the comment and click on the three dots on the right
- In the pop-up card, select the Hide comment option
Now you might be wondering what happens if you hide a comment on Facebook. When you hide a comment on Facebook, the comment will be hidden from the public, but the user won't be notified. Although the user and your audience might start to notice if you hide genuine comments often, so be careful about the use.
And while Facebook sends you notifications for the activity happening on your Facebook page and profile (including comments on all your posts), comments on ads are not considered an activity, so you do not get any notifications.
You have to manually go through each ad post via the ads manager to monitor and hide the comments on your posts.
Hiding Comments on Facebook in Ads Manager
Here's how you can hide comments on Facebook ads:
- Under the ads manager, go to the ad level and tick the box next to your selected ad
- Click on Edit (under the ad name) to open the side panel
- Click on the above ad preview on the right to access the drop-down menu
- In the drop-down menu, under see post, select the Facebook post with comments
- Click on the small dots next to the comment and then select Hide Comment.
How To Turn Off Comments On Facebook Posts & Ads?
Although it is very easy to turn off comments on posts in Facebook groups, doing it for page posts and ads can be really tricky. Facebook does not provide any options to disable comments on your page posts and ads. There are two workarounds if you want to turn off comments on your Facebook page posts and ads.
Turn off Comments Using Facebook Moderation
P.S. It will turn off commenting on all your Facebook posts and ads altogether.
For this to work, add daily use symbols such as “.” and words like “to,” “you,” etc. to the forbidden keyword list in your Facebook page administration. You can find this option under Facebook Page Settings > General > Page Moderation. This will hide all incoming comments on your Facebook posts and ads.
But if you only want to turn off comments on a few posts & ads while continuing engagement on your other content, the next method will work for you.
Turn Off Comments On Facebook Using Statusbrew
Statusbrew allows you to turn off comments on a specific post using its amazing feature - “Rule Engine.” Using the Statusbrew rule engine, you can create a rule for a specific post and turn off comments on it altogether.
- Head to the Rule Engine and create a new rule
- Name the rule and select a Facebook profile connected to Statusbrew
- Select the condition as “Post is” and action as “Hide all Comments”
- Click Save, and you are done.
Using this rule, comments on selected Facebook posts & ads would be turned off, while you can continue engagement on all other posts.
How To Hide Comments On Instagram Ads?
Getting rid of unnecessary comments is vital so that you can channel your efforts into responding to the comments that are relative to the ad post and your brand. This leads to our next question: can you hide comments on Instagram posts and ad posts?
Instagram gives you the option to hide comments on Instagram ad posts. Here's how you can hide comments on Instagram ads.
Hiding Instagram Ad Comments In Ads Manager
After linking your ad account to the ads manager, you get the ability to manage your Instagram ad posts.
To hide the comments on your Instagram ads from Facebook ads Manager:
- Go to the ads manager
- Click on Edit Campaign next to the campaign that contains the Instagram ad you want to view
- Click on ads, and then from the links drop-down menu, select manage Instagram comments
- You'll see your Instagram ads in the comments section to the right
- If you want to add a comment to your ad post, type your comment in the Add a comment field
- To delete a comment, click on the downwards pointing arrow next to your comment and select Delete comment in the drop-down menu
- To hide or unhide a comment, click on the same arrow next to your comment and choose Hide comment or Unhide comment in the drop-down menu
How To Hide Comments On Instagram
While Instagram does allow you to hide comments on Instagram ads, unfortunately, you cannot hide comments on Instagram page posts manually.
There's still a way to hide certain Instagram comments; here's how you do it. To hide comments on Instagram,
Go to the comment section of your page posts
Tap and hold the comment (Android) or Swipe left over the comment (iPhone)
Tap on icon and tap on Restrict (username)
Once you go ahead and restrict a user, a pop-up will alert you that now only you and the user you've restricted will be able to see any new comments on your posts.
However, this process isn't feasible if you're managing comments at scale and have thousands of comments coming in daily.
If you're looking to hide comments on Instagram at scale, we wrote a detailed blog post with actionable insights on how to hide Instagram comments, disable comments on Instagram, and more.
Know more about how to hide likes on Instagram
Can You Delete Comments From FB Ads & Instagram Ads?
Now that you know how to hide comments on Facebook & Instagram ads, you might ask, can you delete comments from FB ads & Instagram ads & if yes, which ones should you hide & delete?
Certain comments can make you look less credible & trustworthy. They can even damage your brand. Deleting every negative comment on your ad can also backfire since it's impossible to be in business without having an unhappy customer ever. At worst, it will look like you don't take customer service seriously. So you should choose wisely which ones to chop safely, and which ones should you leave alone?
As a rule, you can safely delete objectively irrelevant, unreasonable, or harmful comments. That includes:
- Self-promotional comments
- Comments with inappropriate language or content
- Blatant trolling
Hide Comments On Facebook And Instagram Automatically With Statusbrew
Native platforms are a good place to start addressing these issues, but they don't focus enough on eliminating them completely.
That's why we generally recommend to use a managed service like Statusbrew, which is built to take care of spam comments. This allows you to spend more time focussing on planning, marketing, and responding to important queries.
We've tried lots of platforms, but none of them could handle answering comments on Dynamic Ads...until we found Statusbrew! - Kimberley S.
Head Of Marketing, Think Huge Limited.
1000 + customers use Statusbrew for:
- Removing spam on ads & posts
- Providing customer support on social
- Building reputation on social platforms
- Dealing with negative/bot comments
- Increase click-through rate on ads
- Visualizing their eCommerce/Shopify funnel
Try Statusbrew for yourself, or book a free demo with us to understand how Statusbrew can work for your business.
Statusbrew platform has all the features you need to completely forget about spam on your ads.
Here are some of the commonly asked questions about comment moderation on Facebook.
What happens when you hide a comment on a Facebook ad?
If you hide a comment on your Facebook ad, it's only visible to the person who made a comment and the page admins. Other people that come across your Facebook ad won't be able to see that comment.
How do you remove comments from ads?
You can choose to manually hide or delete comments on your Facebook ads by clicking on the three-dot menu next to a comment in Meta Business Suite or through Facebook Ads Manager.
Can people see hidden comments on Facebook ads?
A hidden comment is only visible to page admins and the person who made that comment.
How do I make my comments private?
You can make your Facebook comments private by changing the visibility of your post. Facebook does not give you direct control over your comment's visibility, it will be visible to people who can see that particular post or ad.
Can you turn off comments on Facebook ads in 2022?
Facebook does not offer a straightforward option to disable comments on Facebook Ads. However, there are workarounds you can use to limit comments on your Facebook ads.
Using Statusbrew, you can auto-hide comments on your ads or for a specific ad post giving you complete control over your comment section.