Forget the old-school Times New Roman, stark resume. With everything getting a notch higher up with the coming of social media and digitization, now, there’s more room for creativity, even with resumes while recruiting.
With social media having the highest usage globally, businesses increasingly seek adept social media managers to spearhead their online presence. But with the job market evolving and employers seeking a blend of technical prowess and soft skills, crafting an impactful social media manager resume is crucial to stand out from the crowd.
Join us as we reveal our invaluable tips to help you curate an effective social media manager resume in 2024!
What Is A Social Media Manager Resume?
A social media manager's resume is more than just a document listing your work history. It's a document outlining an individual's professional experience, skills, and achievements specifically related to managing social media platforms and strategies. It serves as a comprehensive summary of a candidate's qualifications, demonstrating their expertise in utilizing social media channels for brand building, engagement, marketing, analyzing data, and creating compelling content strategies.
Here are the key components of a social media manager's resume:
- Professional Summary/Objective: A brief overview of the candidate's strengths, skills, and career goals related to social media management.
- Work Experience: Outline and quantify previous responsibilities and achievements.
- Skills: Showcase technical, soft, and creative skills.
- Education: Academic qualifications and certifications related to marketing.
- Portfolio or Links: Sometimes, links to portfolios, professional social media profiles, or samples of successful campaigns might be included.
For your better understanding, here’s an example of a social media manager's resume:
How To Create A Social Media Manager Resume In 2024?
1. Craft A Compelling Results-Driven Resume Summary
Your resume summary is the first impression. The bad ones usually get ignored. Hence, start with a click-worthy career objective or career summary that will engage employers instead. While crafting an impactful summary as a social media manager, highlight what you bring to the table as a social media manager.
- Adjectives like (driven, engaging)
- Pronouns like “social media manager”
- Years of experience (1+, 4+)
Instead of a generic statement about your career goals, be very specific, highlighting only those pointers that demonstrate your expertise in social media management.
- Industry you are working in
- Latest relevant accomplishments in your latest, comparable role
- Use results-driven power words
- Growth statistics
You can write something like the following:
“Recognized for transforming digital landscapes with X years of experience, as a social media manager, I spearheaded initiatives resulting in a 75% surge in brand visibility and drove a 100% rise in follower acquisition for SaaS start-ups and established brands alike. In comparison to my previous Company, ABC, I was able to optimize ROI, achieving a 40% increase in conversion rates and a 50% boost in engagement metrics across multiple client portfolios in my current company.”
2. Highlight Relevant And Verifiable Professional Experiences
Employers need someone who focuses on experiences that directly relate to social media management and has a proven track record in the field. Social media management isn't only about posting content on platforms and tweeting. It signifies quantifiable results and a lot of technical skills that revolve around developing campaigns, managing communities, and analytics.
Just don't bluntly describe your roles and responsibilities in your resume’s professional experience section. Write something that sets you apart as a social media manager. Here’s how:
“Orchestrated multi-platform campaigns, resulting in a 60% increase in brand visibility and a 45% rise in engagement metrics within the first six months. Implemented data-driven strategies, leveraging insights from Facebook Business Manager and Google Analytics. Besides this, analyzed performance metrics using analytics tools like Statusbrew to refine content strategies and achieved a 40% improvement in click-through rates through A/B testing and data-backed optimizations.”
By adding certain impressive numbers, you, as a candidate, have a chance of making a good impact on your employer.
3. Quantify Your Skills And Accomplishments
Numbers speak volumes. Mention your skills and accomplishments that go well with the job of social media manager, and add skills that are always in demand, including technical, soft, and creative skills. Social media managers need to be excellent in communication, collaboration, and problem-solving and need to have the following skills in their resume for 2024.
- Social media analytics and algorithms
- Google Analytics
- Facebook ads
- Google ads
- LinkedIn ads
- Email marketing
- Social media management tools like Statusbrew
- Key Performace Indicators (KPIs)
- Social media campaign planning
- TroubleshootIing technical issues
- Content Creation
- Customer Service
- Collaborative mindset
- Time Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Positive Attitude
- Graphic Designing
- Compelling captions and stories
- Video production and editing tools
4. Include Relevant Education And Social Media-Related Certifications
To amp up your social media manager’s resume, list degrees or courses directly related to marketing, communications, or social media management. Certifications in platforms like Google Digital Garage, or HubSpot Academy can add credibility and highlight your extensive knowledge of digital marketing and social media. In fact, certifications related to content marketing and public relations can also hype up your chances of getting selected for social media manager roles.
5. Add Social Media Tools In Your Resume’s Skills Section
Your employers will always want to see that as a social media manager, you are updated with the latest trends and technologies, and mastering social media tools is a big part of it. Hence, demonstrate your familiarity with various social media tools and include platforms like Facebook Business Manager, Twitter Analytics, Facebook Ads, TikTok Ads, YouTube Ads, Statusbrew, In Short, Birdeye, Adobe Creative Suite, or any other relevant tools you've mastered.
And above all of these, social media managers need to have in-depth skills with regard to social media management tools to drive engagement and growth for the brand they are working for. To make it easier for all the social media managers out there, Statusbrew lets social media professionals streamline social workflows and ensure a smooth working process. Besides this, Statusbrew's publish feature allows you to schedule social media posts months in advance, Engage inbox delivers all your conversations in a single inbox, and the reports feature helps you analyze every nitty gritty detail of your social activities.
So, Save your time and energy and centralize your social media management efforts with Statusbrew. Try for FREE today!
Use Strong Action Verbs Related To Social Media Management
Powerful verbs can elevate your resume. Use action verbs like "orchestrated," “analyze,” “execute,” “report,” “design,” "conceptualized," "optimized," "analyzed," or "implemented" to showcase your active role in managing social media strategies. This will help you drive your application’s chances among the recruiters. Try to avoid unnecessary passive fluff like “responsible for” and “duties include, ” instead, opt for captivating action verbs like “achieved” and “led” to elevate your position as the perfect candidate.
Try: “Led a team of 3 in the optimization, implementation, and conceptualization of organic social media campaigns."
Write For ATS
Be strategic while creating your social media manager’s resume. Other than LinkedIn’s job posting tools, most companies use Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) to filter out irrelevant or unqualified applications. ATS scans resumes for relevant keywords and automatically ignores those without them. Hence, to avoid the possibility of recruiters overlooking an able candidate like you, ensure your resume is ATS-friendly by incorporating relevant keywords from the job description. Use industry-specific terms and phrases while maintaining simple and clear language, using fonts like Arial or Calibri, and submitting your resume as a Word document or PDF.
Use A Professional Resume Photo
A professional photo can personalize your resume and can make a great first impression. It is the first thing recruiters usually come across in resumes, and it's prudent that it is a high-quality, business-appropriate image that aligns with the industry standards and shows your personality. To make your resume more professional and aesthetic, try using tools like Canva to make your profile photo to help you stand out from the crowd.
Add Links To Your Social Media Accounts
Lastly, take that extra step by including links to your professional social media profiles like LinkedIn or Twitter and let your recruiters check out your latest campaigns, if any, skills in action, top-performing content like the most viewed Instagram video or top-liked LinkedIn articles to increase your chances of getting selected as a candidate for the job role. This will present you in a professional light and show recruiters that you’ve learned to grow your personal brand successfully.
Examples/ Samples Of Impactful Social Media Manager Resume In 2024
Here are examples of impactful social media manager resumes across different levels in 2024:
[Your Contact Information]
- Bachelor of Arts in Marketing, [University Name], Graduated [Year]
- Relevant Coursework: Social Media Marketing, Digital Content Creation
- Social Media Platforms: Proficient in Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn
- Content Creation: Basic knowledge of graphic design and video editing tools (Canva, Adobe Spark)
- Analytics: Familiarity with Google Analytics and social media analytics tools
- Communication: Strong written and verbal communication skills
Social Media Intern, [Company Name]
- Assisted in content creation and scheduling across multiple platforms.
- Monitored and reported on social media metrics using analytics tools.
- Engaged with the community by responding to comments and messages.
Marketing Assistant, [University Club/Organization]
- Managed social media accounts, increasing follower count by 30%.
- Created and scheduled content for promotional campaigns and events.
Certificate in Social Media Marketing, [Institution], [Year]
2. Mid-Senior Level
[Your Contact Information]
Senior Social Media Specialist, [Company Name]
- Led a team in developing and executing comprehensive social media strategies.
- Increased engagement rates by 50% and follower count by 70% within a year.
- Implemented data-driven campaigns, resulting in a 40% improvement in conversion rates.
Social Media Manager, [Previous Company]
- Orchestrated successful influencer collaborations, resulting in a 30% rise in brand awareness.
- Managed a budget of $100K for paid social campaigns, achieving a 25% reduction in CPA.
- Implemented content optimization strategies leading to a 60% increase in organic reach.
Master of Business Administration (MBA), [University Name], Graduated [Year]
Emphasis: Digital Marketing and Social Media Strategy
- Strategic Planning
- Team Leadership
- Advanced Analytics and Reporting
3. Senior- Level
[Your Contact Information]
Director of Social Media Strategy, [Company Name]
- Oversaw global social media initiatives, driving a 100% increase in brand visibility.
- Orchestrated viral campaigns, resulting in 10M+ impressions and significant media coverage.
- Established partnerships with major influencers, contributing to a 50% rise in market share.
Head of Digital Marketing, [Previous Company]
- Spearheaded digital transformation, integrating AI-driven analytics tools, resulting in a 30% increase in ROI.
- Led crisis management strategies during high-stakes events, ensuring brand reputation remained intact.
- Delivered presentations and keynote speeches at industry conferences, establishing thought leadership.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Marketing and Social Media Trends, [University Name], Graduated [Year]
- Strategic Vision
- Crisis Management
- Global Campaign Development
These examples illustrate how resumes of different seniority levels can be tailored to showcase relevant skills, experiences, and achievements at different social media management career stages. You just need to adjust and customize these based on your personal experiences and accomplishments.
Dos And Don’ts Of Creating A Social Media Manager Resume
1. Do Include Metrics To Prove Your Skills
As you tailor your resume for each application, highlight metrics in your resume that align with your job role and spice it up to have a better chance at impressing the recruiters. These metrics will not only help you quantify the work you have done in your past roles but also differentiate you from other candidates. Here’s what you can include:
- Brand awareness growth: Grew X channels by 10k+ followers in X months.
- Audience growth: Grew X followers in X months with X% increase.
- Successful campaigns: Stats around campaign development.
- Revenue: Increased revenue by $X or X%.
- Engagement: Maintained an X% average engagement rate on X channels.
- Paid social stats: Adjusted ad CPC by $X through audience targeting.
2. Do Highlight Your Skillset
Candidates often commit the mistake of not adding enough emphasis on their skillset, soft and hard, other than technical in their resumes. But these are like two sides of the same coin and must be highlighted as recruiters look for the same while recruiting social media managers in the company. Being a social media manager is not only about how to use social media tools and software; you need to have skills like content creation, photography, hard-working and detail-oriented.
3. Emphasize Your Certifications
There is no harm in emphasizing your certifications when you apply as a social media manager. In fact, most recruiters look for these certifications while looking for a suitable candidate. It helps to show that you are updated in the field you are working and driven to learn something new. This can include certifications in your resume—like Google Analytics, Hubspot, or Digital Marketing Certifications- to highlight your commitment to your job.
4. Incorporate Keywords In Your Resume
Just putting random heavy words in your social media manager job description won't do you any good. Due to the lack of optimized and specific keywords, your resume won't show up in the ATS that most companies now use while screening resumes. This is why you need to make sure that your resume is customized to the job description with specific keywords so that the applicant tracking systems (ATS) can track your resume and make you stand out among others.
1. Don’t Be Generic And Dishonest
Avoid generic and dishonest resumes. Don't take credit for anything that you haven't done, as it can be verified and, if proven wrong, might blacklist you as a candidate. Hence it's prudent to only include skills, experience, and stats that are truthful.
2. Don’t Overdo Visuals
Just because you are a social media manager doesn't mean that you need to put a very flashy image on your resume. Keep it simple, don't overdo it. A presentable and professional image might do the work of creating a good first impression. Going overboard with wild fonts, multiple colors, and too many visual elements can be distracting and might take attention away from your credibility.
3. Don't Forget To Check Your Grammer
While creating an impactful resume, ensure that you do spellcheck so that there are no grammatical errors. A Social media manager must be vigilant about their copywriting skills and attention to detail, as one single typo can hamper their credibility. To do this, you can use spell-check tools like Grammarly to get rid of unwanted spelling mistakes.
Crafting an impactful social media manager resume in 2024 demands more than just a list of experiences; it requires a strategic blend of quantifiable achievements, adaptability to the latest trends, and a personalized touch that resonates with potential recruiters.
The above-given resume samples and examples might help you proceed with the right format that you can customize as per your requirements and achieve your desired job. Let's make your resume a testament to your potential and vision for the future of social media management in 2024. Hope this helps!