On an ever-growing platform like social media, marketers are always on the lookout for the latest social media statistics that could help shape up their existing strategies.
The world of social can undergo drastic changes in just a matter of months or years, which means it's crucial to constantly stay on top of where your audiences are and how to connect with them.
For marketers looking to win more on social in 2020, here's a compilation of 100 social media statistics that can help identify the best platform and provide better clarity to channel resources such as time, efforts, and money.
- Global Social Media Marketing Statistics
- Most Popular Social Networks
- Facebook Marketing Statistics
- Instagram Marketing Statistics
- Twitter Marketing Statistics
- YouTube Marketing Statistics
- LinkedIn Marketing Statistics
- Pinterest Marketing Statistics
- Social Media Advertising Statistics
- Social Media Engagement Statistics
- Social Media Statistics For Businesses
Click here to jump directly to downloadable infographic.
Global Social Media Marketing Statistics
The world of social media is fast-paced, and it can be difficult to know what’s hype and what actually delivers results. To keep up with the continuously evolving social media space, here are some general social media statistics to get you up to speed.
- With more than 3.5 billion users worldwide in 2019, social media practically has roughly 46 percent of the world’s total population
- An average person has an account on more than 9 different social media networks and spends a daily average of 2 hours and 16 minutes on social media
- 91% of social media users are accessing social channels via mobile devices, making it vital to publish smartphone friendly content
- Instagram stories are the rising star of social media. In just two years, Instagram stories increased from 150 million to 500 million daily active viewers
- Facebook and Instagram have long dominated social media as the most popular platforms. However, in the past few years, several other niche social platforms have not only emerged but have rapidly risen to fame.
TikTok is one such platform that started just 3 years back and has more than 500 million active monthly users
Most Popular Social Networks
With 2.41 billion monthly active users as of the second quarter of 2019, Facebook is the biggest social media network worldwide.
According to the updated data, a total of 17 social media platforms now have 250 million or more monthly active users (MAU):
- Facebook - 2.41+ billion
- YouTube - 2.00 billion
- WhatsApp - 1.60 billion
- Facebook Messenger - 1.30 billion
- WeChat (Weixin) - 1.11 billion
- Instagram - 1 billion
- QQ - 823 million
- QZone - 572 million
- TikTok (Douyin) - 500 million
- Sina Weibo - 465 million
- Reddit - 330 million
- Twitter - 330 million
- LinkedIn - 300 million
- Snapchat - 294 million
- Viber - 260 million
- Pinterest - 265 million
- Discord - 250 million
Facebook Marketing Statistics
For marketers looking to get the best out of Facebook in 2020, the focus should be on creating highly engaging content, staying active in related Facebook groups, and using Facebook's targetted advertising to reach potential customers.
- Facebook is the third-most visited website, outranked only by Google and YouTube
- 74% of Facebook users log in daily and spends an average of 38 minutes per day on the platform
- In a month, an average Facebook user sees 10 posts, makes 4 comments, and clicks on 8 ads
- 300 million people use Facebook stories daily which is only behind Instagram stories (500 million)
- Videos on Facebook get the highest rate of engagement, despite only making up 3% of content
- 1.4 billion people use Facebook Groups
- 90 million small businesses use Facebook, benefitting from Facebook's services like Pages, Groups, and Messenger
- Facebook remains the most popular social network among U.S marketers, 87.1% of U.S. marketers will use Facebook marketing in 2020
- Over 2 billion people can be reached through Facebook ads
- Facebook accounts for 80.4% of U.S. social referral share to e-commerce sites
- 15% of U.S. social media users shop on Facebook which is second only to Pinterest(47%)
- Average organic reach for a Facebook post is 5.5% while the average engagement rate for Facebook posts is 3.6%
Instagram Marketing Statistics
Instagram stories would be the best bet for businesses looking to engage with potential customers on the platform. Also, Instagram posts with carousels can get you more organic engagement than regular posts.
As you plan your Instagram marketing strategy for 2020, keep an eye on these facts to make sure you're working on the latest trends.
- Instagram users will spend an average of 28 minutes per day on the platform in 2020
- More than 200 million Instagrammers visit at least one business profile daily
- Engagement with brands on Instagram is 10 times higher than Facebook, 54 times higher than Pinterest, and 84 times higher than Twitter
- Carousels get more organic interactions than both videos and images on Instagram
- More than 150 million people use Instagram Direct Messaging each month to communicate with a business
- 60% of businesses on Instagram use interactive elements in stories to engage with audiences at least once a month
- Brand stories have an 85% completion rate
- Instagram represents 10.7% of social referral share to e-commerce sites which is the highest in every social media network except Facebook (80.4%)
- 11% of U.S. social media users shop on Instagram
- More than two-third of marketers report that they spent most of their 2019 marketing budget on Instagram
Twitter Marketing Statistics
Marketing for businesses on Twitter can be particularly complex, given its short life span (3.39 minutes per session) and challenging character limit.
Providing users with prompt engagement and customer service is essential for brands looking to improve their marketing on Twitter. Also, partnering with an influencer can bring in huge benefits.
When launching a social media marketing plan for your brand in 2020, keep in mind these Twitter statistics.
- More than 1.3 billion Twitter accounts have been created since network's inception in 2006. In 2019, 330 million people are using Twitter monthly
- 500 million tweets are sent each day
- Twitter is the third-most popular social media network with marketers, with 59% of marketers actively using the platform
- Tweets that include images or videos are 394% more likely to be retweeted
- An average Twitter user follows at least 5 businesses. 60% of the Twitter users expect a brand or a business to reply to their query within an hour
- Tweets that include hashtags can result in as much as a 1,065% increase in engagement compared to a similar tweet without hashtags
- 40% of users on Twitter claim to have made a purchase directly from an influencer’s tweet
- Twitter users spend 26% more time with ads than other social media users
- Total ad engagements on Twitter were up 91% year-over-year
- 85% people who follow businesses say it’s important for any business to provide customer service on Twitter
- 85% of small and medium businesses use Twitter to provide customer service.
- 80% of users have mentioned a brand in a tweet
- 77% of Twitter users feel more positive about a brand when their tweet is replied to
YouTube Marketing Statistics
As a marketer or business owner, building a YouTube presence can do wonders for your brand. Check out these latest YouTube stats to get an edge on the competition and set yourself up for success in 2020.
- YouTube is the world's second-largest search engine only behind Google
- 82% of Americans report using YouTube, making it the most popular social media platform in the US
- With 2 billion monthly active users, over 1 billion hours of YouTube videos is watched daily
- The average length of a first-page YouTube video is 14 minutes and 50 seconds
- The most subscribed YouTube channels belong to T-Series, followed by PewDiePie (YouTube’s automatically generated channels not included)
- Over 90% of users say they have learned about a new brand or product on YouTube
- 68% of YouTube users watched a YouTube video to help make a purchase decision
- According to YouTube's own data, over the last two years, the number of small and medium-sized businesses advertising on YouTube has doubled
- 79% of marketers think YouTube is the most effective platform for video marketing
- YouTube influencers are 92% of the driving force behind sponsored YouTube videos
- YouTube mobile ads are 84% more likely to hold attention than TV ads
LinkedIn Marketing Statistics
LinkedIn is quickly becoming one of the most engaging social media networks for businesses. The platform is already capable of generating 3 times more conversions than other social media platforms.
Learn how to optimize your LinkedIn marketing strategy by taking a look at these latest statistics.
- More than 100 million job applications are posted on LinkedIn every month
- Posts on LinkedIn that contain images have a 98% better comment rate, and posts with links have a 200% higher engagement rate
- With 630 million professionals on LinkedIn, 90 million users are senior-level influencers, and 63 million are in decision-making positions
- 49% of LinkedIn users earn at least $75,000/year
- 3 million American jobs are posted on LinkedIn every month
- 605.4 million people can be reached through LinkedIn advertisements
- According to a Hubspot study, LinkedIn is capable of generating 3 times more conversions than other top social networking platforms
- 92% of B2B marketers prefer LinkedIn to other social networks
- LinkedIn makes up more than 50% of all social traffic to B2B websites & blogs
- 59% of B2B marketers claim LinkedIn to be effective at generating new leads for their brand
- For 91% of marketing executives, LinkedIn has proven to be the top place to find content
Pinterest Marketing Statistics
Social media marketers often overlook the power of Pinterest but, from a purely global standpoint, it is the fastest-growing social platform.
Marketers aiming to generate more revenue from Pinterest can create theme-based content around their product or service.
- According to Pinterest, the platform now has over 300 million monthly active users
- Pinterest ad revenue is projected to surpass $1 billion by 2020
- The average time spent on Pinterest is 14.2 minutes
- 7 out of 10 Pinterest users are females
- With more than 14 million articles getting pinned each day, there are over 200 billion pins saved on Pinterest
- 50% of millennials use Pinterest every month with 47% of them purchasing something they interact with on the platform
- 55 percent of Pinners are looking specifically for products, which is more than 4 times as many as other platforms
- 82 percent of weekly active users on Pinterest say they have bought products based on their brands’ content on the platform, that's 8 out of every 10 Pinterest users
- 28% of global social media marketers use Pinterest to promote their business
- 25% of all referral traffic that goes to popular retail websites comes from Pinterest
Social Media Advertising Statistics
Businesses of all sizes can use social media advertising to attract the right people. Marketers looking to reach millennials can especially benefit from targetted advertising.
- Global ad spend on social media is expected to reach over $98B by the end of 2019
- The total percentage of marketing budgets dedicated to advertising on social media is expected to nearly double by the year 2023
- Different social channels are crucial for small businesses with 40% of small businesses relying on social media ads for revenue generation
- 26% of people who click on Facebook ads ended up making a purchase
- 50% of Gen Z and 42% of millennials believe in social media to be the most relevant ad channel
- 30 second ads on YouTube videos have a view-through rate 30% higher than 15 second ads
Social Media Engagement Statistics
An improvement in social media engagement rates also improves the other aspects of a brand’s performance online. Keeping an eye on the latest social media statistics regarding engagement trends is an excellent way for brands to re-tune their social efforts.
- Instagram beats out all other platforms for user engagement
- Visual content is 40x more likely to be shared on platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Post on Facebook with less than 250 characters get 60% more engagement
Social Media Statistics For Businesses
Social media has completely changed the dynamics of doing business and has helped people make a fortune. With more and more people turning to their smartphones and social media in the buying journey, there are several reasons why your business should be active on social media.
- 85% of businesses use third-party tools and services to help manage their social media presence. Statusbrew provides a host of social media solutions for businesses to manage their social efficiently
- 50% of consumers say they follow brands on social media to learn about new products or services
- 61% of consumers say brands can encourage purchases by creating posts offering discounts or trials on social media
- 21% of consumers prefer to message a brand on social media rather than calling up the customer service
- 56% of consumers will unfollow a brand if they deliver poor customer service on social media
- 91% of retail brands use a minimum of two social platforms
Here's a detailed infographic on social media statistics to follow in 2020.
Citation Policy: Please feel free to use the infographics in this blog in any commercial or non-commercial capacity. If you use the infographics, we require a reference back to Statusbrew Blog.
Social media is an ever-evolving platform; what happens one year can be entirely different the next. As a brand, it's beneficial for your business to develop a social media strategy that is in contrast with the latest trends.
Make the most out of your social media budget in 2020 by following these statistics. Optimize your marketing stratgey and effectively manage your social with a social media management tool like Statusbrew.
Grab the 14-day trial today and start managing your social with Statusbrew!