For 2019 Social Media Statistics, refer our latest blog: 100 Social Media Statistics for 2019
On the Internet, every click, view and even the emotion is tracked and noted somewhere in the form of statistics in order to understand the user's behavior. For example: Do you know what percentage of the world are on social media? In case if you are using social media to promote your business, then you must be aware of how many people use social media.
For your comfort, I have compiled the most important 100 Social Media statistics for 2018 that you must know before entering the new year party.
Social Media has captured this era from personal to professional point of view. One of the reasons why it’s still elevating is due to the high presence of businesses. The statistics on Social Media are rolled every now and then worldwide, in order to make businesses and brands understand about the benefits they can have from it and redefine their social media strategy.
For a note, the world population is 7.6 billion as of October 2017 as per
Wikipedia statistics and the internet holds 3.5 billion users.
- Google Statistics
- Facebook Marketing
- Twitter Marketing Statistics
- Instagram Marketing Statistic
- Pinterest Marketing Statistics
- Snapchat Marketing Statistics
- Important Social Media Content Statistics
- Social Media Content Statistics
These numbers in the Social Media statistics are blowing the minds of all marketers, they always come in millions and billions. Still, it's crucial for the future business online strategies.
Click here to jump to downloadable Infographic.
What percentage of the world are on social media?
|Social Channel||Number of users|
|2.072 billion users|
|330 million users|
|800 million users|
|500 million users|
|Google+||111 million users|
|200 million users|
|Snapchat||178 million daily users|
|YouTube||1.5 billion users|
|234 million users|
|1.3 billion users|
|Flickr||90 million users|
|1.12 billion users|
|600 million users|
|Airbnb||150 million users|
|Periscope||10 million users|
How many people use Social Media?
- There are 3.03 billion active Social Media users
- 91% of retail brands use 2 or more Social Media channels
- 81% of all small and medium businesses use more social platforms
- Social Media users grew by 121 million between Q2 2017 and Q3 2017
- That works out at a new Social Media user every 15 seconds
- Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp handle 60 billion messages a day
Google statistics for 2018
- Google processes 100 billion searches a month
- That’s an average of 40,000 search queries every second
- 91.47% of all internet searches are carried out by Google
- 15% of every day’s queries have never been asked before
- Google has answered 450 billion unique queries since 2003
- 60% of Google’s searchescome from mobile devices
- By 2014, Google had indexed over 30,000,000,000,000 (30 trillion) web pages
- Google’s data centre uses 0.01% of worldwide electricity, although it hopes to cut its energy use by 15% using AI
Facebook Marketing Statistics for Businesses
Facebook is most popular social media platfom around the globe. Apart from using this platform to get connected & socialize with families and friends. This platform is identified to be one of most famous social media platform for businesses to find new customers and increase their brand awarenss.
Hence, if you are planning to promote your business on Facebook, then you must know how many people are using Facebook as it would help you to determine whether it is benevolent for you to invest in Facebook or not.
Let's dive into the Facebook user's statstics:
- 22% of the world’s total population uses Facebook
- Facebook continues to be the most widely used Social Media platform, with 79% of American internet users
- 79% of the online US adults actively uses Facebook
- Users spend an average of 20 minutes per day on the site
- More than 65 million businesses have a Facebook business page
- Facebook has 5 million active advertisers on the platform
- There are an estimated 270 million fake Facebook profiles
- The most popular page is Facebook’s main page with 204.7m likes.
- Facebook supports for 53.1% of social logins made by consumers to sign into the apps and websites of publishers and brands
Twitter Marketing Statistics for Businesses
Over the years, Twitter has become an important social media channel for businesses to promote & get connected with their audience.
Hence, if you are running a small business, then you must know how many people are using Twitter. The following Twitter statistics would give you a clear idea why Twitter is so important for your business.
Let's have a look:
- There is a total of 1.3 billion accounts, but only 328 million are active
- The average Twitter user has 707 followers
- But 391 million accounts have no followers at all
- There are 500 million Tweets sent each day. That’s 6,000 Tweets every second
- From the first Tweet to the billionth, it took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day
- 65.8% of US companies with 100+ employees use Twitter for marketing
- 77% of Twitter users feel more positive about a brand when their Tweet has been replied to
- Twitter estimates 23 million of its active users are actually bots
- ‘Tears of joy’ is the most Tweeted emoji, with 14.5 billion Tweets
Instagram Marketing Statistics for Businesses
The surge in popularity of Instagram has stunned everyone. This platform emerges as the second most popular social media platform in US after Facebook.
This social media channel is being widely used by people to promote their business online. The instagram stories have made it quite convinient for brands to engage with their customers.
If you are curious to know how many daily/monthly active users Instagram have then go through the following Instagram statistics:
- There are 800 million Monthly Active Users on Instagram
- Around 95 million photos are uploaded each day
- Photos count around 91.07% of all Instagram posts
- There are 4.2 billion Instagram Likes per day
- More than 40 billion photos have been shared so far
- 90 percent of Instagram users are younger than 35
- When Instagram introduced videos, more than 5 million were shared in 24 hours
- Pizza is the most popular Instagrammed food, behind sushi and steak
- Instagram has 70% of hashtags which are branded
Pinterest Marketing Statistics for Businesses
- LinkedIn has 500 million members in 200 countries
- 106 million of those access the site on a monthly basis
- More than 1 million members have published content on LinkedIn
- The average CEO has 930 LinkedIn connections
- Over 3 million companies have created LinkedIn accounts
- But only 17% of US small businesses use LinkedIn
- 10 million jobs are actively listed on LinkedIn
- 122 Million people have received an Interview from their LinkedIn profile
Snapchat Marketing Statistics for Businesses
- Snapchat has 178m active daily users
- On an average, 3 billion snaps are sent every day
- 60% of the Snapchat users are under 25 years of age
- In 2016, $90m was spent on Snapchat ads
- 47% of US teens think it’s better than Facebook
- The average snapchat user spends 25-30 minutes on the platform every day
- 54% of Snapchat users log in at least once per day
- 55% of Snapchat users report that they follow one or more brands or businesses on the platform
Social Media statistics for business for 2018
- Social networks earned an estimated $8.3 billion from advertising in 2015
- $40bn was spent on social network advertising in 2016
- 38% of organizations plan to spend more than 20% of their total advertising budgets on Social Media channels in 2015, up from 13% a year ago
- Only 20 Fortune 500 companies actually engage with their customers on Facebook, while 83% have a presence on Twitter
- People aged 55-64 are more than twice as likely to engage with branded content than those 28 or younger
- Visual content is more than 40 times more likely to get shared on Social Media than other types of content
- 96% of the people that discuss brands online do not follow those brands’ owned profiles
- 78% of people who complain to a brand via Twitter expect a response within an hour
- More than 56% of online adultsuse more than one Social Media platform
- 39% of LinkedIn users pay for monthly premium accounts
- 88% of businesses with more than 100 employees use Twitter for marketing purposes
Social Media statistics for content for 2018
- Tweets with images receive 18% more clicks than tweets without images
- On LinkedIn, 98% of posts with images receive more comments and posts with links have a 200% higher engagement rate
- 100 million hours of video content are watched on Facebook daily
- More than 1 million LinkedIn users have published long-form content, with 160,000 long-form posts being published weekly. and over 19.7 million SlideShare presentations have been uploaded to the platform
- 45% of marketers say blogging is their #1 most important content strategy
- On WordPress alone, 91.8 million blog postsare published every month
- Only 55% of bloggers update old posts. Those who do are 74% more likely to get strong results
- The average reader only spends 37 seconds reading an article or blog post.
- The top 3 content marketing tactics are Social Media content (83%), blogs (80%), and email newsletters (77%)
- 89% of B2B marketers use content marketing strategies
- Facebook now sees 8 billion average daily video views from 500 million users
- Snapchat users also sees 8 billion average daily video views
- US adults spend an average of 1 hour, 16 minutes each day watching video on digital devices
- Also in the US, there were 175.4m people watching digital video content
- 78% of people watch online videos every week, 55% watch every day
- It’s estimated that video will account for 74% of all online traffic in 2017
We have also created a detailed infographic representing the social media stats to follow in 2018.
Citation Policy: Please feel free to use these infographics in any commercial or non-commercial capacity. If you use the infographics, we require a reference back to Statusbrew Blog.
Social Media isn't a fun place anymore, it is constantly providing a meaning to the online professionalism. The above Social Media statistics have been linked to the source and research websites, some are subjected to approximation.
What do these Social Media statistics mean to marketers?
Social Media Marketing is unceasingly proving to be successful in a way that traditional advertising isn’t--and thanks to the advanced metrics that help us understand our audience, content marketing teams can make more knowledgeable future decisions with the digital medium. Now may be it's the perfect time to think about your business for the year 2018.
- 5 Social Media Marketing trends for 2018
- 5 Strategies to grow your business on Social Media, that no one is telling you
- Social Media metrics and ROI - How you should track?
Eager to know from you!
Social Media statistics can be analyzed in various forms in order to meet different business strategies. Comment the Social Media statistics that helped you strategize your business goals.
Explore the Statusbrew range of social media tools